Lone Elk Park in Jeopardy of Being Closed



I just read an article* that one of St. Louis' greatest parks, Lone Elk Park, is on the top of the counties list of parks to be closed. The article lists that there are 20 parks that will possibly close in the St. Louis County area...another big one on the list is the famous waterway...George Winter Park.




This news has me bummed out. I've gone to Lone Elk Park since I was a kid and have fond memories of great times there. Currently we live close enough to get to there within about 8 minutes.




Lone Elk Park is a wildlife management area, with bison, wild turkey, waterfowl, elk and deer. When I was a kid we used to go on guided hiking tours there and now my daughter enjoys Geocaching there.




If you live in Missouri and have been to Lone Elk Park, hopefully you have grown an appreciation for the park as my family and I have. If so, please take a moment and flood the phone lines of St. Louis County requesting that they remove "Lone Elk Park" from their proposed parks closing list. Contact Charlie Dooley at 314.615.7016 or email him at cdooley@stlouisco.com.




Photo taken from the St. Louis County Parks webpage



*Article information taken from The Big River Current News Magazine.


Comments

Paper Blessings said…
Hopefully they will find another option because these parks are not just sitting empty and are used frequently by people...it's not like they are abandoned.

One of the biggest, most memorable moments I have of Lone Elk is when someone we both knew tried to teach me to drive in the park! LOL

Popular posts from this blog

Bloggy Tour of Homes

The Run…It’s Done!!!

A Little Snow Day Organizing...